BE THE CHANGERegular price $16.73
BE THE CHANGE
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has"
Be the Change is one of our most popular bands. It's a call to arms, to step out of our routines and change something around us for the better. It applies as much to the causes of Climate Change and pollution as it does to helping others or ourselves. Many of us resist change, so this band is an elegant and bold statement of self empowerment to do new things or old things differently and for the better, to make the world a better place. It's a ideal band to motivate those who want to change, who enjoy change or just need a little encouragement! Worn with our glass bands this is a band of empowerment.
Size & Fitting
The organic fabric band measures 33cm / 13 inches in length. To fit to size, the length can be trimmed with scissors. Always cut at an angle to minimise fraying of the cotton.
Worn on the wrist or ankles, it is double tied at the back to hold the band in place. The band can be sown onto clothes or onto soft furnishings or used as a decoration.
The Fabric and Yarns
The processes for making the yarns and dyes for our Bands of Courage date back over a thousand years using authentic processes and ingredients which are not just natural, but highly medicinal.
The fabrics and yarns are certified organic cotton used in the manufacture of clothing and our bands begin as greige or unfinished fabric which pass through 5 stages before recycling:-
- De-sizing, washing the greige cloth with natural mineral-rich water and sea salts to remove sizing, gums and oils.
- Bleaching, using direct sunlight, and a combination of natural grass and animal manure.
- Mordanting, to make colours bright, they are impregnated with mordants such as myraballam, rhubarb leaves, oils, minerals, alum, iron (no heavy metal mordants are used).
- Dyeing, using rich herbs to dye the fabric by immersing the plants themselves directly into the dye bath - the dyes are listed below.
- Finishing, by sprinkling the fabric with water and aloe-vera and stretched using hand-rolls; and, finally . . .
- Recycling all the solid and liquid wastes, which are used for farming, water the fields and manure.
The dyes used are:-
Haritaki - natural green in colour, it is only grown in parts of the Himalayas and is known as the King of the Herbs. It is a highly potent herb for treating many serious diseases;
Turmeric - a yellow dye, also called 'Indian saffron', it comes from the ginger family and is great for skin complaints;
Indigo - a blue dye from the leaves of the Indigo tincoria, and cures gout amongst other things!
Madder - a red dye known as the 'king of dyes' as it contains alizarin, it is also used as a treatment for pain;
Pomegranate - an ocher-yellow dye which improves colourfastness and as a medicinal herb is great for the heart!
Onion - is used to produce dye colours in shades of orange, yellow, rust and brown, and it's especially good for treating serious skin diseases like Leprosy.
Hand Embroidered Finishes
The hand embroidered finish used to create the inscriptions on our fabric bands are Japanese Glass Beads;
Every band is lovingly made by hand with each bead lovingly sown into the fabric so each has its own unique little differences and no two bands are exactly the same.
Your order will be processed within 48 hours of receipt.
All shipments are tracked, with options to ship by DHL or other local carriers.
Shipments over AUD100 in Australia are free of charge.
Shipment options are shown at checkout.